Calascio, a very ancient village dominating the Navelli Plateau, is located near Campo Imperatore. It is divided in two: a medieval village in the lower part, along the road between Castel del Monte and Santo Stefano di Sessanio, and Rocca Calascio, the Rock, perched on a mountain top, near the famous homonymous castle.

The Renaissance-octagonal-based church of Santa Maria della Pietà completes the surprising scenery of the Rock that overlooks the plateau of Campo Imperatore.

 In Calascio’s walls, instead, there are the church of San Francesco, or Convent of Santa Maria delle Grazie, and the church of San Nicola, with a portal of 1500, which keeps inside valuable wood furniture and paintings by Teofilo Patini, who lived a long time in Calascio.

This entry was posted in L'Aquila, Mountain and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply