The church of San Nicola in Lanciano rises on the ruins of the oldest church of San Pellegrino, which was destroyed by a fire in 1226. Subsequent renovations transformed the old system especially with the construction of the bell tower (perhaps in the 14th century), similar to other churches of Lanciano.
Inside there are paintings of the 18th century and a silver monstrance by the school of Nicola da Guardiagrele.
Recent work of consolidation of the tower have revealed frescoes by an unknown artist inspired by legends written by Jacopo da Varagine between 1263 and 1273. The paintings can be traced back to the same period.