The Eucharistic Miracle of Lanciano took place in the 8th century in the church of San Legonziano (Longinus). A Basilian monk, while celebrating mass with doubt in his heart about the mystery of the Eucharist, witnessed the transformation of the host into the heart and wine into the blood of Christ. The authenticity of the miracle was recognized by various ecclesiastical surveys (1631, 1637, 1770, 1866, 1970) and two scientific tests: the first by prof. Linoli (1971), the second by the Medical Committee of the WHO and UN.
Today the holy relics are kept in the church of San Francesco: the “flesh” in the rays of a monstrance and the clots of blood in a crystal goblet under the monstrance.
The shrine of the Eucharistic miracle is a pilgrimage destination of pilgrims from all over the world.