Church of San Francesco, Lanciano

The church of San Francesco or shrine of the Eucharistic miracle is located in Lanciano in corso Roma. It was built between 1252 and 1258 in Gothic style by the Minor Friars on the underlying Church of San Legonziano (St. Longinus) where, according to Christian tradition, the Eucharistic miracle happened in the 7th century.

Today the church of San Francesco has a Baroque appearance due to restorations suffered in the course of ‘700. It is one of the first convent churches in Abruzzo.

This entry was posted in Abbeys, hermitages and shrines, Chieti, Hill and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply