The Abruzzo National Park was established in January 1923, first Italian national park together with the Gran Paradiso. First including only the wilderness reserve of Camosciara and a nature reserve in the High Sangro Valley, in the southern part of the Province of L’Aquila, in the years the Park expanded and included some bordering Lazio and Molise municipalities, motivating the current denomination of National Park of Abruzzo, Lazio and Molise (PNALM). Today it is 50.000 ha wide.
The highest summits in the Park are the Mounts Marsicano, Argatone, Schiena Cavallo, Pietra Gentile, Montagnola, Marcolano and Camosciara. The main water streams are the Sangro river, Giovenco and Scerto. The only natural lake is Vivo Lake. Manmade basins are Barrea and Montagna Spaccata. Civitella Alfedena, Opi, Bisegna, Ortona dei Marsi and Lecce dei Marsi stand out among the historic villages, while the National Park headquarters is located in Pescasseroli.
There are some plant species indigenous of the Park, such as Villetta Barrea Black pine, Marsican iris, lady’s-slipper orchid and the Orange lily. The aboriginal fauna is represented by Marsican brown bear, Abruzzo chamois, vipera ursinii, Apennine wolf, golden eagle, European otter, wild cat, white-backed woodpecker and, supposedly, lynx.
Special thanks to society-cooperative La Camosciara for these wonderful pictures.