The archaeological site of Alba Fucens is situated in the village of Alba, about 7 km far from Avezzano, in the municipal territory of Massa d’Albe in the Sirente-Velino Regional Park
Founded by the Romans in 304 BC on a 1000 m-high-mountain-top at the foot of the Mount Velino and not far from Via Tiburtina Valeria, on the borderline between the territories of Aequi and Marsi, the ancient city was brought to light again since 1949, thanks to the Belgian university of Leuven. Alba Fucens was defended by imposing city walls. They are still visible along with the ruins of Roman streets, forum, thermae and amphitheatre.
For further information and guided tours: http://www.albafucens.info/sito/homeinglese/home.htm