The Cathedral of Santa Maria Assunta and San Berardo is the most important monument in Teramo. It is situated in the historic centre, in Martiri della Libertà Square. Its erection, wanted by Bishop Guido II, started in 1158 and finished in 1176.
The Cathedral is a piece of Romanesque architecture, gothic in the upper part. The belfry is about 50 metre high. The crypt of St. Berardo, patron of Teramo, Nicola da Guardiagrele’s antependium and Jacobello da Fiore’s polyptyc are in its interior.