The fortress of Civitella del Tronto overlooks the village of Civitella. It stretched for 500 m on a harsh rocky ridge. It rises on the border between Abruzzo and Marche. Until its capitulation, which brought to the Italian unification in 1861, it rose between the Kingdom of Naples and the Papal State. Its strategic importance grew during the Swabians and later under the Angevins. Damaged by the sieges of 1798, 1806 and especially of 1860/61, was restored from 1973 to 1985.
In the fortress there are three squares (Knight Square, Weapons Square, Large Square), cisterns to collect rainwater, stables, canteens, kitchens and today the Museum of Weapons.