The church of San Francesco is located in the old village of Civitella del Tronto. It was founded in 1326, under Robert of Anjou. The convent was suppressed in 1866 due to a decree of Vittorio Emanuele II. The façade is Romanesque-Gothic style. Tradition has it that the 14th century stone rose window came from the church of San Franceco di Campli.
The church of San Francesco underwent new renovations in the early 21th century that have not altered the original splendour of the church.