Civitella del Tronto

Civitella del Tronto is located in the province of Teramo, on the border with Marche, in the National Park of Gran Sasso and Laga Mountains. It is one of the most beautiful villages in Italy. It rises on a hilltop 589 m above sea level, from which it dominates Vibrata Valley and the Adriatic Sea.

The village is overlooked by the Bourbon fortress. In Ripe di Civitella and Sant’Angelo and Solomon caves were found relics from the Neolithic and Palaeolithic, traces of the first human settlements in the area of Civitella. The medieval village dates back to the 10th or 11th century. In the 13th century Civitella was annexed to the Kingdom of Naples of which it was the northern bulwark until the Unification of Italy, declared three days before the surrender of Civitella, conquered on 20th September 1861.

Major attractions of Civitella del Tronto are the Bourbon fortress, Gate Naples, Ruette, the sanctuary and convent of Santa Maria dei Lumi, the churches of St. Maria degli Angeli, San Francesco and San Lorenzo, the abbey of Santa Maria in Montesanto, the monument to Matteo Wade and the Fountain of the Lovers.

In the village numerous religious and secular events are celebrated. The typical dishes are ceppe, a type of pasta, spezzatino alla Franceschiello and filetto alla borbonica.

This entry was posted in Hill, Teramo, Villages and cities of art and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply