Cerrano Tower, Pineto

The Cerrano Tower (Cerrano is the name of the nearby stream which flows into the Adriatic sea) is situated in the municipal territory of Pineto. It is an ancient tower, erected first in 1287, then rebuilt in XV century under the Kingdom of Naples to prevent the Saracen coastal attacks. Nearly one kilometre in front of the tower, there are the submerged ruins of the Roman port of Atri.

Today Cerrano Tower  is the centre of the Tower of Cerrano Marine Protected Area.

This entry was posted in Castles, fortresses and towers, Sea, Teramo and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Comments are closed.