Teramo is a municipality of about 55.000, capital town of the Province of Teramo. It is a city of ancient origins.
Capital of Petruzi tribes, it became a Roman municipality in 290 b. C. named Interamnia (“town in between two rivers”: the Tordino and Vezzola rivers). It was one of the cores of the Social War (91-88 b. C.). Under Emperor Adrian theatres, temples and baths were built up. Destroyed in 410 by the Visigoths and refounded in 568, it was conquered by the Lombards. Teramo was almost entirely destroyed in 1155 in the war between the Normans and the Dukes of Puglia, but it rose up again thanks to the bishop’s rule. The erection of the new cathedral of Santa Maria and San Berardo dates back to that time of relative peace. From 1395, it became a part of Atri after Count Antonio Acquaviva was appointed Duke of Atri and Lord of Teramo. The denomination “Praetutianorum”, whereby the Romans distinguished today’s Teramo from other Interamnias, make some scholars believe that the name’s evolution in Praetutium, then in Aprutium from VI century, was later extended to the whole region, the current Abruzzo.
The city’s most important piece of art is the Cathedral of Santa Maria and San Berardo, Patron of the city, erected in XII century. In addition, the old historic centre of Teramo boasts the ruins of the Roman theatre (II secolo), the church of Sant’Anna of Pompetti, the only Dark Aged building in Teramo, the church of Sant’Antonio (XIII century) located in Largo Melatini, in front of Savini’s Porch and the medieval House of Melatino; the church and monastery of San Domenico (XIII century) in Corso Porta Romana; the church of Holy Ghost (XIV century) that looks out onto Largo Proconsul just beside the ancient Roman statue of Sor Paolo Proconsole (I century b. C.) and the church of Santa Caterina (IX century). By the historic centre, there is the ancient church of Madonna delle Grazie, built up in 1153, but restored in XX century. Its cloister is worth seeing as well as San Giovanni (XIV century), San Domenico and Sant’Antonio’s ones. In Teramo there are ancient high-class palaces. Of the most important is Palazzo Savini, in Corso Cerulli (Corso Vecchio for the Teramans) built up in early 1800 on an old prison and on the ruins of a Roman house, how it is witnessed by one of most important archaelogical find of the city, the Mosaic of the Lion, on the building’s basement.
Teramo is well connected to the coast (to Adriatic motorway A14) and to the inland (motorway A24 to Rome and L’Aquila). There is a railway line that links Teramo to Giulianova and then the Adiatic line. The nearest airport are in Pescara and L’Aquila. In Giulianova there is a port for tourist and fishing boats. In Teramo there are interesting museum such as the Archaeological Museum (Via Delfico, 30, Tel. +39 0861/247772); the Museum of Art and picture-gallery (Viale Bovio, 4, Tel. +39 0861/247772) and Physics and Astrophysics Museum ‘Galileium’.
Teramo is considered the city with the best water in Italy as well as Rome, thanks to Gran Sasso’s aqueduct. Teramo is an university city. The university of Teramo is divided up in two: the old seat in Viale Crucioli and the new one in Colleparco suburb. Teramo also hosts the Zooprophylactic Institute Caporale.