Pescara is the capital city of the Province of Pescara. It is the most populated city in Abruzzo and hosts some offices of Region Parliament and Government with Abruzzo capital city, L’Aquila. Until 1927, the territory of today’s Pescara was split up in Pescara, on the south bank of the Pescara river, which was a part of Chieti’s province, and Castellammare Adriatico, on the north bank, part of Teramo’s province. In 1927, both of towns became Pescara. Pescara’s province was created as well, thanks to the poet, Gabriele D’Annunzio, and the minister Giacomo Acerbo’s concerns. Within the narrow borders of the town area (about 33 km2) about 125,000 people live, though the metropolitan area of Pescara-Chieti has a population of about 330,000. Today Pescara is an international city due to the airport, situated just 4 km from the city centre, and its port, which mainly connects Pescara to the Croatian coast.
It is one of the modern Italian city, since its growth started from the end of War World II. During the conflict, the city was heavily bombed by the Allies in 1943, and was occupied and destroyed by the withdrawing German army after the Armistice. That is the main reason why today’s Pescara has lost almost entirely the remnants of its past, even though it is known that there was a village on the area by the river mouth in the era before the Romans, and its population lived on fishery and trade with the hill and mountain towns. Then, with the rise of Rome, the village, then known as Ostia Aterni (from the Latin name of the Pescara river), became a renowned Roman port on the Adriatic Sea, insomuch Tiburtina road was paved between it and Rome. Tiburtina is still the road that links Pescara and the capital, passing and winding through the Appennines. The most of Pescara’s history is still visible in the towns around (Spoltore, Montesilvano Colle, Moscufo, Pianella).
The so-called “old city centre” (Pescara Vecchia) is a tangle of few narrow streets situated on the south bank of the river, by the old barrack, that once were a part of the fortress of Pescara, today entirely demolished. The area, once neglected, has been completely recovered and it is the favourite meeting point of young Pescareses at night, due to its numerous pubs and clubs. Corso Manthonè and via delle Caserme are the most renowned streets for students, residents and tourists who want to enjoy Pescara by night. So, Pescara is made up of the “old city centre” and the modern “trade centre”, situated in front of the railway station. Corso Umberto is the high street from the station to the seaside. Piazza della Rinascita, addressed as Piazza Salotto (Living room square) by the residents, is particularly crowded on Saturday afternoons because of its many boutiques and shops. Shops are also in other streets nearby the modern trade centre, which is geographically squared by via Leopoldo Muzii to the north, via Regina Margherita to the east, Lungofiume dei Poeti to the south and corso Vittorio Emanuele to the west.
In the summer time, Pescara’s riviera, that stretches for 10 km from Montesilvano to the north to Francavilla to the south is made up of a succession of beach clubs and restaurants. The river is crossed by four bridges. The last one, built up in 2008-09, has been called the Sea-Bridge. It is reserved to pedestrians and cyclists.