Campli, about 8,000 inhabitants, is located in the province of Teramo, at the foot of the Mountains of Laga. In 1538 Charles V gave Campli in dowry to Ottavio Farnese. The Farnese family held the town until 1734. Then the feud of Campli was annexed to the Kingdom of the Two Sicilies.
In Campli there are numerous places of interest: Collegiate of Santa Maria in Platea, the Parliament Palace or Palazzo Farnese, the Holy Stairs, the House of the Pharmacist, the Doctor’s House, the Church of San Francesco d’Assisi and the adjacent Archaeological Museum, the Eastern Gate and the Church of San Giovanni Battista in Castelnuovo, the Tower of Melatino in the Nocella district.